1 cup of butter (salted or unsalted is fine)
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 cups of flour
1/4 teaspoons of salt
Nuts: Chopped walnuts or almonds, or nuts of your choice
Filling: Jam or preserves of any fruit
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Add vanilla, flour and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Roll spoonfuls of dough into small balls, and place them on lightly greased cookie sheets, each ball about an inch apart.
- Press down the center of each ball with a spoon, making an indent. Fill with jam or nuts.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a cool, flat surface.
- When the cookies are cooled, sprinkle powdered sugar.
Recommendations, suggestions, comments from me:
- When I first made this, I used Ugandan vanilla, and topped the cookies with Concord grape jam and apricot preserves. I highly recommend apricot preserves— so delicious! ;o;
- Great if you’re vegan, since this doesn’t use eggs.
- THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH VANILLA EVER.
- This is great with tea, warm milk, hot cider, and in the wintertime. <3
- Great for gatherings and tea parties, for you Lolitas out there! >w<
Original recipe source: Mrs. Fields Cookie Book. (The best cookie book EVER, guys.)
So, Kuikuri brought this recipe of hers to my attention, and I finally got around to making them the other day. Oh man, were they good. A little plum jam in the middle, and it was like heaven. So I figured ya’ll might want in on this fine recipe, too.